About Me

My photo
Movie rating system (0-2) The movie is balls (2-4) A few moments but mostly bad (4-5.5) Entertaining film but lacking something to make it good. (6-7.5) A recommendation meaning a good solid watch. (8-10) must watch films, they are usually leaders in their respective genre. I can also be found on Facebook or follow my blog at the bottom of this page. THERE MAY BE MINI SPOILERS AHEAD!!! But there will be no endings/twists/cameos/or large plot reveals given.

Social Network

Search This Blog

Labels

Friday 10 August 2012

My Best Friend's Girl


My Best Friend’s Girl
2008
Comedy
Rated: R
Running Time: 101 minutes
Starring: Dane Cook, Alec Baldwin, Jason Biggs, Kate Hudson, Lizzy Caplan, Diora Baird
Directed By: Howard Deutch
Rating: 7 Out of 10
Outline
A guy is hired to take out his best friend's ex-girlfriend on a bad date. It doesn’t go as planned and he needs to decide between a women and friendship.


Review
If you were to tell me that a movie starring Dane Cook, Jason Biggs, and Kate Hudson was going to be funny it would probably make me snarf my diet coke. Then I watched this flick and was shocked at how entertaining this film actually was. My Best Friend’s Girl is the story of Tank and his best friend Dustin. Dustin hires Tank to take out his ex-girlfriend Alexis on a terrible date to prove to her how great Dustin really was. The problem being Tank starts to like Alexis and things get complicated.

I thought I would change up my review style in honor of this movie. The highlight of this film was Tank being a dick to a David Letterman inspired Top 10 list montage. I figured I would write what I liked about this film in that style for my review.

Number 10: Kate Hudson: Kate Hudson is known for her romantic comedy chops so it was nice to see her in something a little outside of her comfort zone. She played Alexis in this film and is a great leading lady. She has the experience and looks for such a role. While she could have been funnier she is still the queen of the Rom Com even if it is R rated.

Number 9: The Simple Story: Sometimes films try to do too much with the story muddying the flow of the comedy. This story is as basic as it gets and that is all it needed to be.

Number 8: Never Slow: This film had a great pace and very little wasted screen time. It allowed for a lot of nice situations for the actors to provide their comedy. While the jokes were not always funny this film was never boring.

Number 7: Jason Biggs: Jason played the good guy Dustin. I like Jason Biggs when he has smaller supporting roles like this one. You know what you are going to get with him which is a couple of laughs. He did a good job as the straight laced nerdy guy in this movie and has a great scene with a razor to prove he will do anything for a role.

Number 6: A Romantic Comedy for Guys: This movie has the cheesy romantic comedy vibe but with the R rating. It allows for a lot of jokes that guys will appreciate and a love story for the ladies. Obviously I am generalizing with that statement but it has a little for both worlds no matter what you like.

Number 5: Funny Situations: This film finds itself with a lot of funny scenes at random places. It takes place at Proms, Strip Clubs, Hair Dressers, Restaurant’s and many more. It just does a good job of bouncing from place to place to change it up.

Number 4: Lizzy Caplan: Lizzy has a small supporting role as Ami who is Alexis’s roommate. She is a foul mouthed and practical woman who tells it as it is. I found she was really funny in a limited role and added a nice touch from a woman’s point of view. It was a very nice role and performance from Caplan.

Number 3: Dane Cook: Yeah, I know I know, praise for Dane Cook. Don’t hate me because of this statement. He was awesome though and really threw this movie on his back. For some reason it isn’t a surprise to me he was so good at being a misogynistic pig. He plays Tank Turner this sort of anti Hitch (Will Smith character). He gets money from guys to take their ex-girlfriends out on horrible dates to show them what they had was so good. His persona as a narcissistic prick is awesome and really was funny for the entire film. He may be over the top but I found this only added to the role in a positive way.

Number 2: Alec Baldwin: Alec Baldwin has a small supporting playing Tank Turner's dad. This is one of the funniest supporting roles in recent memory. He is this sex starved older player, teaching Tank in the ways of love. He has a story for every sex occasion and really stole the show when he was on screen.

Number 1: The Top 10 list: The top 10 list was a great idea for this film. I was upset there were only two of them they were that funny. These lists showed Tank at his finest or worst depending on how you look at it. It showed all the tricks of his trade to make women hate him and really I could have watched a top 100 list. Tank was on fire during these lists and truly was a great addition.

I give this movie a surprising recommendation for people who like stupid sexual humor and can get over their hate for Dane Cook.

T Factor + If you like Dane Cook this could score higher on the rating scale.

T Factor – If you dislike Dane Cook this could score lower on the rating scale.

If you liked this film reel recommendations: Tomcats, Buying the Cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment